Happy Birthday! ECSA is 10!
Today, exactly 10 years ago, ECSA was established as a European federation representing composers and songwriters from all musical genres at European and international levels. Initiated in Vienna upon the invitation of the Austrian Composers’ Society (ÖKB), music creators from all over Europe signed a ‘letter of intent’ stressing the necessity to create an independent representative body of composers and songwriters at European level. A year later, on 6 March 2007, ECSA was finally launched in Madrid.
After 10 years of existence it is time to celebrate and assess the work done by the association. This will happen in Vienna this autumn (see below).
However, on the occasion of the actual 10th birthday this special News from Brussels edition wishes to highlight – without exaggeration – some of the milestones achieved by ECSA.
- Uniting the voice of composers and songwriters on European level with today 54 member associations in 26 European countries
- Launching a complaint against coercive practices of public and private broadcasters when commissioning music (2012) and raising public knowledge of unfair copyright contracts
- Successfully implementing 4 Creators Conference editions (2012, 2013, 2015, 2016) raising the profile of Europe’s music writers and stressing the importance of authors’ rights, collective management, digital opportunities and freedom of speech
- Safeguarding the exclusive assignment of rights to CMO’s in the context of the CRM directive
- Co-initiating a European Parliament Study on Contractual Arrangements of Creators (2014) and European Commission study on remuneration of authors and performers (2015)
- Successfully advocating for the introduction of a separate chapter addressing the problem of contractual remuneration of creators in the context of the EC 2016 copyright directive
- Programming and executing an ambitious Cultural Programme, co-financed by Creative Europe, and performing musical works of more than 50 composers from more than 15 European countries in the framework of ECCO
- Establishing a transatlantic dialogue for sustainable music and helping in the creation of a North-American alliance of music creators
All this and many more activities will be assessed and celebrated when ECSA delegates will meet in Vienna in October 2017 for the annual autumn session and actual birthday party. Delegates will be welcomed to Vienna on 11 October 2017 with a ‘Composers’ Lounge’ featuring a concert at the Jazz & Music club Porgy & Bess. Board and committee meetings will take place at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna on 12 October 2017 followed by the ECCO concert featuring the Wiener Concert-Verein, which will take place at the University’s Haydn-Hall. The ensemble will perform string orchestra pieces selected by the ECCO Artistic Committee which followed a Europe-wide call for scores.
*** *** ***
The European Composer and Songwriter Alliance (ECSA) represents over 30,000 professional composers and songwriters in 26 European countries. With 54 member organisations across Europe, the Alliance speaks for the interests of music creators of art & classical music (contemporary), film & audiovisual music, as well as popular music.www.composeralliance.org
For the News from Brussels in pdf format, please click here.