The ECSA Working Group on Gender and Equality is proud to announce the publication of the ECSA Gender Equality Charter, a set of commitments aimed at improving the conditions and advancement of women composers and songwriters in the music industry.
The charter is the result of collaboration, discussion and debate among the Working Group and the community of ECSA’s members and it is meant to inspire ECSA Member Organisations and other stakeholders to take action and act to change the gender imbalance we experience in the music industry today.
ECSA Gender Equality Charter
We pledge to:
- Improve equality and diversity at decision-making levels.
- Participate in or organize activities that promote equality and diversity in the music industry. And, in an opposite situation, for example men might choose to refrain from participating in an all-male panel.
- Take the necessary steps to compensate for the gender bias in the awarding of prizes and grants, always making sure that a gender balance should be met in the nomination process.
- Recruit employees, partners and suppliers from a wide talent pool.
- Adopt practices to welcome more female songwriters and composers as members of organisations where we have influence (CMO’s etc.).
- Work towards a balance in the programming of concerts, venues, festivals and panels.
- Share methods of increasing equality and diversity with others, so we can learn from each other.
- Increase the visibility of female role models at both an academic and a professional artistic level, and promote a wider variety of role models in the music industry.
You can find the PDF version of the Charter here.