The main objective of the alliance is to defend and promote the rights of authors of music at the national, European and international level by any legal means. ECSA advocates for equitable commercial conditions for composers and songwriters and strives to improve social and economic development of music creation in Europe.
Aims and agenda
“Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.”
Article 27 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Unfortunately this is far from being the reality.
ECSA’s principal aim is therefore to defend and promote music authors’ rights at national, European and international levels by any lawful means. In detail this means:
- joining the efforts of European music authors organizations and/or federations in order to ensure that the voice of music creators is duly taken into account both at the European and international level;
- protecting and defending music creators’ rights both at the European and international level;
- reinforcing the perception of the cultural and economic value of music in Europe and the world;
- inspiring European and international politicians and regulators to encourage the creation of new music of all kind;
- actively supporting the principle and development of copyright (“droit d’auteur”) and defending the collective management of authors’ rights;substantially contributing to the work of the European Union and UNESCO on the “Statut de l’Artiste” and the “Déclaration sur la diversité culturelle”; and
- creating fair commercial conditions for all the music authors and composers and encouraging the adoption of “codes of conduct” in order to ensure the social and economic development of music creation in Europe.
Our activities to achieve these purposes are the following:
- organizing meetings with EU and international decision-makers in order to promote and defend music composers’ and songwriters’ rights;
- drafting legal documents to defend and promote authors’ rights both at the EU and international level;
- liaising with other right holders and user representative organisations;representing the Association during EU and international conferences which are relevant to the Association’s activities;
- representing the Association during music and audiovisual festivals and other cultural events;
- organizing events to promote the awareness of the importance and value of music of all kinds both at the cultural and economic level;
These activities are being carried out by means of a strong cultural, economic, technological and legal cooperation, with a spirit of international collaboration and mutual aid between the members of the alliance.